WRITER’S WORLD 2018
September 8, 2018 9:30am – 4:30 pm
Guzman Hall, Dominican University
50 Acacia Ave, San Rafael CA 94901
You’ve written a book, so what’s next?
Sponsored by Joel Friedlander (TheBookDesigner.com)
plus Redwood Writers,
Book Marketing Mentor and Pro Audiovoices
Writer’s World provides Bay Area authors with a unique opportunity
to find the support services for independent publishing they need
to take their next steps forward.
- Get up close and personal with representatives from regional writer/publisher organizations.
- Meet publishing professionals with services who can help you take your next steps to:
- produce your print book or ebook or audiobook;
- distribute your book globally and locally;
- market your book in each format so your can get it out there to your target audience;
- print your book either offset or on demand;
- convert your content into a digital ebook;
- record your own audiobook or have it recorded by a professional narrator.
- Meet Bay Area vendors who provide other products and services for the writers, authors, and small publishers that can help you achieve your publishing and writing goals.
- Get your professional author headshot taken for use on your book cover and in all your marketing.
- Book an individual 20-minute coaching session with Developmental Editor David Colin Carr, to talk about your book or story idea.
- Do a short author interview on video to add to your website and use in marketing your books.
- Get a 20-min coaching session with “book midwife” Ruth Schwartz, to talk about birthing your book—getting from finished manuscript to finished book up online available for sale.
Keynote address by Lee Wind, Marketing and Programming Director of IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association): “I Published a Book” is Not a Marketing Plan.
Q&A is a BAIPA favorite: come ask any question related to independent publishing and all the experts and those with experience that may be helpful will do our best to get you answers and will share the benefit of our experience. We’re here to learn together!
45-minute Workshops 11:00-3:45 including:
- An Edutaining Journey Through the World of Words: The difference between Writers and Authors; a grammar Q&A; how much grammar leeway do writers have; and Word Trivia with Arlene Miller, the Grammar Diva
- Hitting the Wall: Engaging Shadow & Mystery in the Creative Process with Cathy Wild
- Write a Killer Book Blurb with John Byrne Barry, author of Wasted: A Green Noir Mystery, and Bones in the Wash
- Improving Your Writer/Author Blog and Website in 2018: What an Author Needs to Succeed, How a Competent Website Designer Can Help with Author Lee Foster, Foster Travel and Website Designer Jeffrey Samorano, WPinOneClick
- From Content to Comma: Working with an Editor with Barbara Fuller, Editcetera
- Animal Accounting for Writers – Money Stories with Vitalia Fedossova, Aurelius Accounting, Inc.
- A Style Experience, 3 Secrets to an AWESOME 1st Impression with Shelley Golden, A Style Experience
- Scrivener: What’s All the Fuss? with Vanessa Kier, The Writer’s Tech Stop
- Basics of literary law/how to avoid lawsuits with Kelley Way, Law Office of Kelley A. Way
- Building Your Email List to Grow Your Book Sales with Judy Baker, Book Marketing Mentor
- Making Money with Audiobooks with Becky Parker Geist, Pro Audio Voices
- How to Get Booked on TV or Radio with Cynthia Brian, StarStyle Productions
Selected Additional Vendors
MFA in Creative Writing at Saint Mary’s College of California
Karin Fisher-Golton, Children’s Book Editing Services
James Jacobs, Palo Verde Books
BAIPA is an educational organization dedicated to elevating the art of the independent author-publisher. Members include creative people who are involved in various aspects of publishing, linking writers with the services they need to publish and sell their work.
Educational Workshops • Keynote Address • Q&A • Vendors • Writer Orgs
Tickets just $65 each for the entire day including all the workshops!
To register as an attendee, go HERE.
Exhibitors and Sponsorships
Writer’s World Vendors
Vendor Categories: Associations Alley, Editors Passage, Designers Circle, Publishing Promenade, Essentials Court
Apply today by completing the form and providing your payment of $100 (to cover the cost of your table and sign). Meet with people who need your expertise to assist them with their book production cycle. Details are on the form. Sponsors, please send your logo as a .jpeg, PDF, native Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign files that are CMYK at 300ppi.
Writer’s World Sponsorships
As a BAIPA Writer’s World sponsor, you have an opportunity to display your business, build your brand awareness, and show your support for an important cause: the arts. Enjoy networking with our members and potential members who are authors, writers, publishers and others who need your products and services. Bring your table banner, promotional materials, staffing, raffle prizes, handouts, and more to educate and inform our audience about your products and services and to develop new, creative projects.
Enhance your customer base through your involvement, increase exposure for your business in the community, and reach your potential customers and clients, with options for every budget. Also, you have an opportunity to provide a mini-workshop during the afternoon to educate and inform the audience.
Writer’s World Sponsorship Levels
In-Kind Donations: Make an impression on attendees by donating a raffle prize, goodie bag items, beverages, packaged snacks, to receive promotional acknowledgments at the event, and on our website event page.
Novel $200: Promotional materials on display, name, and logo in event program, flyers, and posters, recognition announcements at the event, recognition on website, social media recognition, press release recognition, and recognition at the event entrance.
Folio $500: All the benefits of the Novel level, plus signage in one workshop room and ability to pitch your business before one workshop in that room.
Epic $750: All the benefits of the Novel level, plus the ability to book an entire room for the day.
Join us. Complete your application today! Space is limited.
Prefer to pay by check? Print out the appropriate PDF form, fill it out and include the form with your check. Just follow the mailing instructions on the form.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR WORKSHOPS. To be considered as a workshop presenter, complete this form. You will be contacted by the Program Committee regarding your submission.
Call for Volunteers
If you would like to volunteer for this event, please complete a Volunteer Application
Share the Love
Post about Writer’s World and include #BAIPAWritersWorld
Download a flyer
BAIPA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Event participation implies your photo release on social media, website, and promotional materials.