All Things Amazon Day - Morning Session
About this event:
Join BAIPA on June 10 for
The Latest on All Things Amazon: How to Manage Your Most Important Publishing Relationship in 2017
Morning Speaker Presentation: 11am to 12:15pm
Afternoon Workshop: 1-3pm
(see separate event)
(General meeting begins at 9am, speaker presentation is at 11am, after Q&A,
networking time, introductions & announcements)
Let’s face it—Amazon is the 800-pound gorilla in the publishing industry, whether you are talking about traditional publishers or the growing self/independent publishing world. So understanding how to use this powerful tool to help you to promote and sell your book is an essential key for success. And you can get the answers at the BAIPA meeting and special afternoon workshop on June 10th!
Led by indie publishing veterans, David Kudler, Ruth Schwartz, Becky Parker Geist and Judy Baker, this day will give you a map to the many ways in which you can and should interact with Amazon.
How Can Your Indie Book Flourish in Earth’s Largest Commercial Ecosystem?
The morning session will survey all Amazon programs affecting the independent author/publisher. We will explore the various Amazon programs and subsidiaries that we as independent publishers need to take advantage of. We will start with an overview, and then plunge into 10 key programs.
- Amazon—Opportunity and Controversy: What’s all the fuss about?
- CreateSpace—Your Amazon Print-on-Demand Book:Tips on submission and marketing.
- KDP—Your Amazon Ebook: A quick map of the great KDP Select divide (exclusive or non-exclusive?), and the consequences, including KindleUnlimited and the new subscription payment system.
- AuthorCentral—Your Amazon Author Page:Why you need one, and how to improve what you’ve got.
- Amazon Reviews: Best practices for getting them
- Amazon’s Goodreads: How to do engage reviewers for your book.
- Audible Creative Exchange (ACX): The Audible world of Amazon and how to navigate your options with the development and distribution of audiobooks.Amazon Advantage: How to sell your offset-printed books on Amazon.
- Amazon Seller Central: How can you sell autographed copies of your books and other merchandise on the world’s largest marketplace?
- Amazon Affiliates—Your Amazon Associates Relationship: Earn a little for every customer you send to Amazon. Is your own A-store helpful?
If you are NOT yet a member of BAIPA, please note that our guest registration system is not quite working at the moment. Instead, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know that you want to attend. You can handle your payment when you arrive on Saturday.
About the presenters:
David Kudler, the Membership Chair of BAIPA, is an expert provider of publishing services and a consultant to independent and self-publishers. He is the founder and publisher for Stillpoint Digital Press, and since 1999, has managed the publication of more than 60 print, ebook, audio, and video titles. A traditionally and self-published author himself, he is preparing the June, 2016 release of his young adult historical adventure novel Risuko.
Ruth Schwartz, aka the Wonderlady, has been a member of the BAIPA board for more than four years and currently oversees the BAIPA website and communications. Known as a Book Midwife, she has helped over 50 authors through the self-publishing process in the last four years, where they get clear about the steps needed to turn out a professional book that looks and reads as good as anything coming from a traditional publisher. She also provides marketing, proofreading and book interior/cover design services, and helps clients set up basic author websites. You can find out more about her at thewonderlady.com.
Becky Parker Geist, current BAIPA President, is an audiobook expert. She narrates and/or produces audiobooks for an international clientele, including audiobooks in any language and narrated by either gender. She has a 100% acceptance rate on ACX and excels at helping great stories come alive. After receiving her MFA in Acting in 1981, Becky began narrating audiobooks for Library of Congress. Becky is also a published author. Learn more at ProAudioVoices.com.
Judy Baker helps authors sell more books. “Marketing is a conversation” and she knows how to get people talking about your book. Judy specializes in personal branding for authors. She inspires authors with passion and power to take action through communication. She launched Book Marketing Mentor with Judy Reyes and to provide training, mentoring, and resources that position independent authors for success. President Emeritus of the Bay Area Independent Publishers Association and is Vice President of the group. She is one of the co-chairs of BAIPA’s Writer’s World, she serves on the Board of the Bay Area Consultants Network and is a workshop coordinator for Redwood Writer’s Academy. In her free time, she sings with Vox Populi in Sonoma. Find out more about Judy at brandvines.com and bookmarketingmentor.com.